Removing the Silence & the Stigma Around Bipolar Disorder
The brief version?
It's so easy to step away from understanding mental health challenges and mind health issues. To that end I :
- hosted a radio program on mind health matters between November 2013 and August 2016
- wrote a book about my personal mind health experiences and the strategies I use to manage my resilience and mind health
- became the Black Dog Institute's first Victorian Volunteer Community presenter
- have spoken to many community groups about mind health matters and
- have conducted a range of mind health and resilience workshops in corporate and educational settings.
I believe I had been "too silent for too long" about my experiences and mental health challenges. It was time to stand up and be seen and counted. It's time to debunk, demystify, and de-demonise mental health challenges and see them for what they are.
My approach is to mental health advocacy is humourous, irreverent at times and fun. Thanks to Katie at www.beatricebiologist.com for permission to use this Beatrice the Biologist cartoon which goes a long way to explaining why talking more about depression and other mind health matters is SO important...